Introduction of My Tree

The tree that I chose to adopt for the semester is one that lies right out in front of One Butler Court. I live in Butler and pass that tree every day so I figured it would be a good one to observe over the course of the semester.  I am a transfer student new this semester, transferring from UNH, so I have never seen what this tree looks like thus far from how it looks currently. I took an ecology course over at UNH where we went out into the College Woods and learned about different species of trees. My tree is a young tree, as it is not thick. If the tree were thicker it would mean it is older because it would show more rings inside if one were to cut it. There are only a few dead leaves that have clung on throughout the winter and harsh winds which are orange in color and brittle. My tree has striations going up and down the bark in deep grooves which helps one to distinguish what species of tree it is. Although I am not sure which species it currently is, once leaves appear the shape of which they grow will help me determine what species my adopted tree is. There are currently buds starting to form at the tips of the branches as the tree prepares for the warm weather and sun of spring. It also has an orange plastic tie midway up the trunk of the tree along with a blue tag on it which I am not sure what that means by Keene facilities, I'm assuming, having put that on the tree for a certain reason. I look forward to seeing the different changes my tree will make as the semester progresses.
Picture of the tree I have chosen.

This image shows a different angle to be able to see the buds of the tree starting to
form without the building obscuring the view. 

Another angle of my tree.

Close up of my chosen tree showing the bark.

Comments